The blaze reportedly reduced to ashes 60 LED television sets and others gadgets on display

A fire that broke out in the hot Monday noon gutted the yet-to-open showroom of Nandilath G Mart, an electronic appliances shop, at Edappally.

The main showroom of the firm located adjacent to it was spared. But the fire that broke out around 1.15 p.m. created panic among shoppers in the close-by buildings and residents of nearby apartments. The blaze reportedly reduced to ashes 60 LED television sets and others gadgets on display, damaged five shops in the vicinity and charred an Innova car of a family residing close to the showroom.

A dozen fire engines were called in and the firemen put out the blaze in two hours. A preliminary report has blamed electric short circuit for the fire. “Though the preliminary inquiry revealed that the fire could be due to electric short circuit, we are seeking the help of a team of experts to ascertain the exact reason,” a senior police officer said.

Fire and Rescue Service men were alerted by shop staffers after they spotted smoke. No shoppers were inside the building as the showroom was getting ready to be opened during Onam festival.

The blaze created traffic hold-up for about two hours in the area.

Keywords: Edappally shop fire

More In: Kochi