Cyber City that promises to create 60,000 direct jobs and provide a built-up space of 10 million sq.ft in next nine years was launched at Kalamassery near Kochi on Thursday.

Minister for Industries Elamaram Kareem inaugurated the construction work of the project on 70 acres of land handed over from HMT. Minister for Transport Jose Thettayil presided.

The construction of the project is expected to take nine million man days, which would again contribute to the employment component.

Cyber City, also known as Kalamassery Special Economic Zone, is being promoted by Housing Development and Infrastructure Limited (HDIL) through its subsidiary Blue Star Realtors, who will make a total investment of Rs. 2,300 crore.

“Kochi has emerged as one of the top IT/ITES commercial real estate destinations. HDIL Cyber City will be a catalyst to Kerala’s economic growth,” said Rakesh Kumar Wadhawan, Chairman of HDIL.

Out of the total 10 million sq.ft, seven million sq.ft. will be dedicated to IT and ITES. In the initial phase, three buildings at a total built-up space of 10 lakh sq.ft will be readied in two years.

The project to be completed in three phases would also have amenities like hospital, training schools, shopping complex, multiplexes, office space for IT companies, and residential areas.

The project is being designed in concurrence with the green building concept. According to promoters, buildings and structures will occupy only 20 per cent of the land and the remaining 80 per cent will be left for green space. No drainage will go out and the entire sewage will be treated internally.

MLAs A.M. Yousuf and Ibrahim Kunju, S. Ramnath, managing director of Kinfra, Sulkaikha Majeed, Kalamassery ward councilor were among those present.