The proposed takeover of the Cochin Medical College is now awaiting a decision by the Finance Ministry. More than six months after Chief Minister Oommen Chandy’s promise on the issue, the move has not made any progress, indicating a lack of political will rather than bureaucratic redtape.

Highly placed sources in the college’s administration told The Hindu that it may take another two months for the government to take a final decision. The facts of the matter are being studied by yet another committee under the Finance Ministry.

However, even as there is no progress in the takeover process, preparations are on for starting postgraduate courses.

The fact that the 13-year-old college had not been able to begin postgraduate courses till now had been one of the drawbacks of the institution.

Postgraduate courses should have been started latest by the 10th year of the college’s existence, said a senior faculty member.

The Cooperative Academy of Professional Education (CAPE) that administers the college, has sanctioned the appointment of 10 senior faculty members in the wake of the scheduled inspection of the college by the Medical Council of India before October 31.

Though only one professor in biochemistry has joined the college, others shortlisted are expected to join soon, said Medical Director Junaid Rahman.

Postgraduate courses will also ensure doctors in various specialties and these provide the backbone in the development of any medical college, said a senior faculty member.