Question: I have received a green card under the F-13 category i.e. relatives of U.S. citizens. I am currently a student so I need to be in India for a few more years before I can start living in the U.S. permanently.

I am told that now green card holders have to go over to U.S. twice a year, instead of once a year as was the case before to retain a green card. Please clarify.

E. Santhi

Answer: Please visit the following website for queries relating to your green card, or contact the USCIS unit at the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi at

Q: I would like to know the documents required and procedure for getting an F2 visa. I am planning to have my spouse join me while I am on an F1 visa in the U.S.


A: Please visit our website at Click ‘Apply Now’ and then select the F1 visa to learn more.

I am working as an assistant professor in the Department of Civil Engineering at IIT Hyderabad and am planning to visit a U.S. university this summer for two months.

My institute will cover all the expenses including travel and living during my stay. I have a valid business visa. Since time is short to apply for a J1 visa, my host from the U.S. University advised me to travel on a B1 visa.

Q: Can I use a B1 visa for this visit, and if yes, what are the documents required at the port of entry to get a stamp for two months? Is an invitation letter from the host along with the financial commitment from my institute sufficient?

Sireesh S

A: You may travel to the U.S with your B1 visa if it supports the purpose of travel. “Business” does not mean gainful employment, but it does include a wide range of business-related activities (meetings, trainings, negotiations) for which you are not being paid in the United States.

If you already have a valid B1 visa and you are applying for entry to the U.S., remember that the final determination of entry as well as the length of your allowed stay is determined by the Immigration Officer at the port of entry.

Additional requested documents may include evidence of the purpose of your trip, your intent to depart the U.S. after your trip; and/or your ability to pay all costs of the trip.

Q: I am an Indian citizen residing in the U.S. I would like to certify my father’s and mother’s passports for tax documentation purposes.

Please advise me how this can be done at the Hyderabad Consulate.


A: Please visit our website at to schedule an appointment for notary services. Please note, however, that the U.S. Consulate at Hyderabad does not certify Indian documents.

Q: We possess 10-year B1/B2 visas that expire on 3rd October 2013. We want to extend our visas for a longer period as we would like to visit U.S. in July 2013 for about six months. How can we extend our visas?

Nageshwar Rao

A: In order to renew your visas, please visit On this website, you may also determine whether you are eligible for the Interview Waiver Program.

Q: The consulate’s online tracker at is showing “Administrative Processing” and it hasn’t been updated since 19/11/2012. Neither my employer nor the client was contacted for any verification/clarification. Any help is appreciated.

Srinivas Gantimahapatruni

Q: I appeared for an H1B visa interview at the Hyderabad Consulate on December 28, 2012. The officer said my application needed to undergo some administrative processing. I keep checking every day for any status update, but it’s no use. What went wrong with my application?


A: We are required to conduct administrative processing in many cases.

Unfortunately, we cannot give a specific time frame during which processing will be completed, as each case is different and may require different processing than another case that may appear similar.

While we recognize how frustrating these delays can be for applicants, please be assured we process each case as quickly as possible.

Please continue to check your status online, and wait to be contacted by us.

To ask questions about a specific case, you may write to