The MMTS phase II project seems to be getting derailed again with the UK-based firm Balfour Beatty, one of the partners in the joint venture (JV) with Kalindee Nirman, which was to take up the project, withdrawing from the contract.

Confirming it, South Central Railway General Manager P. K. Srivastava said it was “unfortunate” that the company had withdrawn but hastened to add that talks were on with GMR and Tata Projects to work on the project in association with Kalindee Nirman.

“In fact, an agreement was to be signed yesterday. Hopefully, it will be done in a few days,” Mr. Srivastava said on Monday.

Apparently, the company had decided to wind up operations in the country.

Rail Vikas Nigam Limited (RVNL) had invited MMTS phase-II tenders in three separate packages worth Rs. 389 crore of the total project cost estimated at Rs. 819 crore, in April last year and finalised next month for quadrupling of track between Ghatkesar-Moula Ali and patch doubling between Moula Ali-Sitaphalmandi and doubling between Sanathnagar-Moula Ali, restoration of track between Telapur-Ramachandrapuram and doubling between Medchal-Bolarum sections.

RVNL authorities clarified that there was a provision in the terms and conditions of the contract, which enables a partner from withdrawing their service.

But Balfour Beatty would also be losing Rs.6 crore paid as security deposit for the tender, explained a senior official.

More In: Hyderabad