A transformer kept in the parking area of Paigah Plaza exploded, with flames spreading to vehicles parked in the vicinity

Nearly 30 two-wheeler vehicles were reduced to ashes after a power transformer in a parking lot exploded at Paigah Plaza on the Liberty-Basheerbagh road on Wednesday afternoon. There was no loss of life.

The transformer exploded with a deafening sound and fire broke out around 1.45 p.m, sending panic waves among passersby and people working in offices in the building. Hot oil from the transformer flowed out and soon the flames spread to the vehicles.

With the fuel tanks exploding, the vehicles caught fire one after the other as people scampered to safety and watched helplessly.

Those working in offices in the busy complex rushed out and tried to extinguish the flames, but they could not succeed. It took an hour for the two tenders of the fire brigade, who rushed to the scene, to bring the blaze under control.

“I heard a deafening sound and rushed downstairs. I could see my bike in flames. I tried to douse the fire by pouring water but it was not sufficient,” said a dazed Mohammed Moinuddin, who had come to the complex to attend a job interview. He had borrowed his brother’s Yamaha FZ bike for the day.

As the transformer exploded, the parking area manager fled the scene.

“He assured us that our vehicles would be safe, but is not to be seen anywhere now,” complained Syed Liaqath, another vehicle owner who lost his bike. All he has in possession now is the parking ticket issued to him by the attendant.

Quick thinking

Owners of vehicles parked in the adjacent Prashanti complex displayed presence of mind in immediately evacuating their vehicles from the parking lot. An iron grill separates the parking lots of Prashanti Complex and Paigah Plaza.

Blaze at Sanathnagar

A major fire broke out in a sofa-making unit at Sanathnagar around 2 p.m. on Wednesday. Flames erupted from Vijetha Metal Works and huge quantities of combustive materials like cotton, wood and foam used in making of sofas were gutted in the incident.

Five fire tenders from Sanathnagar, Filmnagar, Madhapur, Gowliguda and Moulali were pressed into service. The flames were doused after four hours, Sanathnagar fire officer M. A. Shareef said.

The cause of the fire and the extent of the loss are being ascertained.

Close shave at fuel station

In a separate incident, workers at Indian Oil fuel station at Falaknuma had a close shave on Wednesday evening at around 6 p.m. when they were transferring fuel from a tanker to an underground storage tank in the fuel station premises.

A small quantity of petrol reportedly leaked onto the floor and caught fire. Workers immediately doused the flames using fire extinguishers.

There were no injuries to any persons and as a precautionary measure the fuel station was closed for some time.


Furniture shop gutted March 29, 2014