Fire Brigade does not rule out sabotage

Property worth lakhs of rupees were damaged after a fire broke out in roadside stores abutting the Osmania Medical College (OMC) in Koti on Tuesday. No injuries were reported.

The shops, made of iron mesh and set up by small traders on the pavement behind the bus stop at OMC, sold rexine bags, plastic flowers and decorative items among other articles.

As flames engulfed the stores at around 6.15 a.m., five fire tenders from the Assembly, Gowliguda, Malakpet and Musheerabad brigades were rushed to the spot. The fire was extinguished in an hour.

Sabotage angle

Though senior officials said reasons behind the mishap were yet to be established, fire-fighters do not rule out sabotage.

Some portion of the land has been locked in litigation for the past few years. There is also the possibility of fire breaking out due to electrical short-circuit as only two electrical meters were fixed for 16 shops.

“Owing to overloading, flames could have emanated from the electrical wires,” said an official.

The exact property loss was yet to be ascertained and efforts were on to collect more details from owners, he said.

Fire at Amberpet

In a separate mishap, a godown at Amberpet caught fire at midnight on Monday, triggering panic among nearby residents. With the assistance of locals, godown employees doused the flames within a few minutes.

More In: Hyderabad