Panic gripped customers at Kamat Hotel near Ravindra Bharathi in Saifabad after fire broke out in the kitchen on Friday afternoon. None was injured.
Thick smoke billowed out of the kitchen when a chef was preparing puris. The staff immediately alerted the fire control room and poured water from buckets. Employees managed to douse the flames by the time fire tenders from the Secretariat and State Assembly arrived. North Zone Assistant District Fire Officer K. Vijay Kumar said the flames could have emanated due to overheating of cooking oil while preparing food in the kitchen.
In a separate incident, two private tourist buses and five shops were gutted in a fire accident at Narsapur crossroads near Balanagar on Thursday midnight.
While police officials said the reasons for the fire were yet to be ascertained, firemen maintained that electrical short-circuit from the battery of one of the buses could have triggered the fire. Sanathnagar fire officer M. A. Sharif said three fire tenders from Sanathnagar, Jeedimetla and Secunderabad rushed to the spot and controlled the situation within two hours.
Meanwhile, officials said a preliminary report explaining the circumstances that led to fire accident in GVK Bio Sciences Limited in Uppal Industrial Area a few days ago, was submitted to Fire Services Director-General S.V. Ramanamurthy. Assistant District Fire Officer (East Zone) K. Krishna Kumar said fire broke out due to chemical reaction of solvents in the lab. “We are collecting more details from the management to know the exact property loss,” Mr. Kumar added.
Timely action by the fire fighters and the police helped avert a major catastrophe after flames engulfed the firm. The personnel ensured that not only the fire did not spread to the abutting godown with 50 gas filled cylinders but also people within the vicinity were moved out to a safe zone.