Nearly, 20 students sustained injuries, three of them grievously, as police thwarted their attempt to come out of the OU campus to join the ‘Chalo Assembly’ rally

At least 20 students of Osmania University (OU) sustained injuries, three of them seriously, after police lobbed tear-gas shells to thwart their attempt to come out of the campus and join the ‘Chalo Assembly’ rally on Friday.

For the third consecutive day, the OU campus continued to simmer and resembled a war zone as students from various associations owing allegiance to different political parties clashed with police repeatedly till late into the evening on Friday.

The three grievously injured students - C. Dayakar, Krishna Naik and Sailu - were admitted to hospitals, and the condition of Naik is said to be critical as he suffered injuries on the neck, according to Dr. Y. Pavan Kumar Sharma, who came forward to treat the injured on the campus.

Trouble began when members of the Telangana Students Joint Action Committee (TSJAC) took out a bike rally from Arts College to NCC gate around 9.30 a.m. Holding black flags, the students raised slogans against police for preventing them from proceeding towards Vidyanagar to participate in the rally.

They climbed the 10-feet high steel barricades placed at the NCC gate demanding that they be allowed to go out. As police kept their path blocked, the students pushed aside one of the barricades and started throwing stones.

Police too retaliated by lobbing tear-gas shells repeatedly. A few minutes after the TSJAC activists retreated, another group raising ‘Jai Telangana’ slogans entered the conflict zone. They got into an argument with police, climbed the barricades and removed the concertina wires placed at the NCC gate. But the steel barricades held them back. They later collected old tyres and set them afire.

Meanwhile, two more groups reached the NCC gate and started throwing stones at police which continued for almost an hour. Even as this was on, another group assembled at the OU police station and hurled stones demanding the release of the arrested persons. The security forces then tried to disperse them by lobbing tear-gas shells.

More In: Hyderabad