Lakhs of rupees worth property was feared destroyed after fire broke out in a pub located on the fourth floor of a commercial complex at Madhapur on Monday evening triggering panic among the locals.

Fortunately, no customers were inside the pub when the fire accident occurred. Thirteen workers of the pub managed to escape unhurt.

On noticing the fire in the kitchen, the staff disconnected the power supply. With much difficulty, they shifted the LPG cylinders to the terrace of the building.

The workers later came out safely by the main staircase while some slid down through the sewerage pipe before jumping onto the adjacent building.

The Madhapur police said the pub had special seating arrangements to watch live cricket matches. Flames erupted from the kitchen around 5.30 p.m. and spread to the entire floor.

Even as fire-fighters struggled to douse the blaze, smoke engulfed the lift on the fourth-floor making it difficult for them to reach inside the pub.

The fire personnel later pressed a snorkel into service and put out the flames after three hours. Furniture, electronic goods and other valuables were gutted in the incident. “It was a difficult task for us to extinguish the flames as combustible material was stored in the pub,” said Ranga Reddy district Assistant Fire Officer K.V. Krishna Kumar.

More In: Hyderabad