Satyam, 40, and Anjaneyulu, 20, who tried to save him, died apparently due to asphyxiation in the 30-foot-deep manhole near Meenakshi Towers in Madhapur
Death came calling for a labourer engaged by GHMC to clean a manhole and a passer-by, who tried to rescue the former, also met the same fate on Saturday.
The labourer Satyam, 40, and Anjaneyulu, 20, who tried to save him, died apparently after inhaling poisonous gases accumulated inside the 30-foot-deep manhole near Meenakshi Towers in Madhapur, the police said.
A case under Section 304-A (rash and negligent act resulting in death) of IPC was registered against the unidentified contractor who hired the labourer for the cleaning work.
“A mechanic Mohammed, whose roadside garage was located near the manhole, told the police that he saw Satyam entering the manhole alone around 1 p.m.,” the Madhapur Sub-Inspector G. Rajashekhar Reddy said.
Police are not sure what happened immediately after that, but passer-by Anjaneyulu grew suspicious on seeing footwear and tools lying beside the open manhole and went inside to rescue him.
As both the men didn’t come up for long, the mechanic informed the police, who called in firemen and brought out the two bodies outside using oxygen kits. Investigators said the two men died after inhaling poisonous gases in the manhole.
Police tried to send some persons inside the manhole carrying candle-lights.
The candle-lights went off within a depth of five feet deep making it clear that there was no oxygen inside, the police said.