Say police began searching for body only on Sunday, despite being notified on Friday evening itself

Friends and relatives of Ravi Paturi, who ended his life by jumping into the Hussainsagar were anguished over what they described as “total insensitivity” of the police, who began searching for the body only on Sunday, despite they being notified about it on Friday evening itself.

Ravi, principal of Aurora Degree College in Chikkadpally, allegedly jumped into the lake on Friday morning. Around 4.30 p.m. on the same day, workers of Eat Street, a popular food joint, noticed a body floating in the water and alerted the Lake Police.

A constable, identified as Chari, went to the spot in a boat to confirm the information and alerted the Ramgopalpet station.

An officer from the station did indeed rush to the lake and went to the spot along Mr. Chari in the boat, but they could not find the body. Possibly, it was swept away to some other location. As it was getting dark, they returned to the shore.

It was on Saturday that the anguish of the relatives began. Having come to know that Ravi was last seen near Eat Street, they rushed there and were told about a floating body in the lake.

When they rushed to Ramgopalpet police station, they were horrified at the nonchalant attitude of policemen.

First, they denied any information about a body being seen floating. But when they made the Lake Police station constable Chari speak to Ramgopalpet station, it was confirmed that a body found in the lake was confirmed and that a sub-inspector had also come to the lake.

It took almost the entire day for them to convince the police to take up the search operation again.

Ultimately, it was only on Sunday morning that they began the search and succeeded.

Subsequent inquiries revealed that while the lake police personnel confined themselves to passing on the information to Ramgopalpet station as they were expected to, the SI who was informed about the body failed to mention in the general diary on Friday night. The next day, he was not at the station.

The Saifabad OSD V. Harshavardhan Raju, however, rejected the contention that the police did not search for the body on Saturday.

“There is no negligence. A team led by Sub-Inspector Chandrasekhar continued search operation from Friday evening with the help of a speed boat,” he clarified.

More In: Hyderabad