Missing and later reported dead, the family members of Abdul Raheem, a businessman from Shaheen Nagar, allege that he was murdered by some known persons

May 31 is a date that will always haunt the family members of Mohd. Abdul Raheem, a businessman from Shaheen Nagar area of Old City.

On this day, the family was conveyed the news of the death of the 52-year-old who had mysteriously gone missing on August 30, 2012. His remains were reportedly recovered from a drain at Hyderguda in Rajendranagar on May 18.

Goes missing last year

On August 30 last year, Raheem went to submit the scholarship forms of his children and promised to return home by evening, but that was never to be.

Worried family members searched for him at different places and lodged a complaint at the Rajendranagar police station. Raheem was last seen with his friend Ramesh, a resident of Hyderguda, before he went missing.

Following the complaint, the Rajendranagar police registered a case (739/2012) and took up investigation.

The family apprised the officials about a cheating case registered at Pahadeshareef police station based on a complaint made by Raheem against a few persons who allegedly cheated him in a truck deal, said M.A. Hameed, brother of the victim.

The family also filed a complaint in December last with the SHRC (case No 3442/2012) and attended the hearing on two occasions in March and April this year. The next date given was August 28, a family member said.

However, on Thursday the family received a phone call from Rajendranagar police asking them to come to the police station.

“The police showed us our brother’s mobile phone and clothes for identification. Later, they told that his remains — mostly bones and a skull — were recovered from a drain at Hyderguda during de-silting works,” Raheem’s younger brother Nayeem said.

Family wants a CID probe

Family members allege that Raheem was murdered by some known persons.

“We want a CID enquiry into the case as there are many loopholes in it,” Mr. Hameed demands.

Raheem, who has four children, had spent a good part of his life in Saudi Arabia before returning to India in 2010.

When contacted, a official of Rajendranagar police station said that it is through their efforts that the identity of the person whose remains were found was established.

“The case is at a crucial stage and we are probing all angles,” the official said.

More In: Hyderabad