A Delhi court has issued fresh production warrants for Thursday against two suspected Indian Mujahideen operatives
A Delhi court has issued fresh production warrants for Thursday against two suspected Indian Mujahideen operatives whose custody was sought by the NIA for interrogation in connection with the twin blasts in Hyderabad.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) had earlier moved the court seeking their custody.
The two are lodged in jail under judicial custody after being arrested by the Delhi Police in connection with the August 2012 Pune blasts.
According to the NIA, Maqbool and Imran had in July, 2012, allegedly carried out a of Hyderabad’s Dilsukhnagar, where the blasts took place on February 21.
This was carried out on the instructions of IM founder Riyaz Bhatkal and their interrogation will help investigators know the exact plan envisaged by Riyaz. NIA prosecutor Ahmed Khan said the probe agency would require the custody of the duo to interrogate them regarding the recent Hyderabad blasts as they are suspected operatives of IM and could give them details and clues about the executors of the blasts.
District judge I.S. Mehta issued the fresh production warrants against Syed Maqbool and Imran Khan after they were not produced before him by the jail authorities.
The court had on February 25 issued production warrants and had directed the authorities of Tihar Jail, where they both are currently lodged, to produce them before it on Wednesday.
NIA team in Kolkata
An NIA team accompanied by personnel of the Andhra Pradesh Intelligence Bureau investigating the Hyderabad blasts arrived in Kolkata on Wednesday.
“A team of NIA and SIB (Hyderabad) arrived here this morning,” a senior police official told PTI on condition of anonymity.
With investigators trying to put together pieces of evidence, nearly 40 people have been questioned by the police and central probe agencies over the blasts in Hyderabad that left 16 dead on February 21. — PTI