A major fire broke out in one of the laboratories of the Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (IICT) here near Habsiguda on Monday afternoon. The Discovery Laboratory is still in flames and about 30 fire service personnel are battling the flames.

According to preliminary information available scientists and other staff managed to come out of the Discovery Lab.

Three fire tenders from the nearby stations rushed to IICT. Senior officials of the Fire Services department are rushing to the spot to supervise the fire control measures.

Sources say that huge quantities of solvents - Hexine, Ethanol, Methanol, Ethyl Acetate and Acetone – are stored in the laboratory.

Cause of fire is not yet known.