Property worth lakhs of rupees was gutted down when fire broke out at footwear shop in Chatta Bazaar, Old City late on Thursday night. No casualties were reported in the incident.
The fire broke out at Mahaveer enterprises at around 11.00 p.m. spreading panic in the area. On receipt of information a fire tender from Moghalpura fire station rushed to the spot and took up fire fighting operation.
As the intensity of the fire was high, more fire engines from Gowliguda, Salar Jung Museum, Assembly joined in the fire fighting operation. A fire snorkel was also pressed into service as the fire spread to the first and second floor of the shop.
As a precautionary measure the police vacated residents in neighbouring buildings and checked the adjacent shops to prevent spread of fire. It took more than five hours for the fire personnel to douse the fire.
Officials suspect short-circuit as a cause of fire.