Investigators probing into the fire accident at Manikonda suspect that electrical short-circuit could be one of the causes for the mishap.

Shed-owner, Vijay Kumar took temporary connection from an adjacent building in violation of norms to get power supply for the premises used to store material required, for shooting films and TV serials. Sparks could have first emanated from the shed and later spread to Baba Nivas apartment. Strong winds had also fuelled the fire, said a senior fire official.

Report submitted

A four-page report explaining the circumstances that led to the fire was also submitted to the government. The developer of Baba Nivas had also constructed the apartment without complying with norms. He took permission for constructing a ground plus three-storeyed building, but added two additional floors. The building owner had also failed to implement the necessary fire safety measures prescribed under the National Building Code (NBC).

In a press release here, Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy expressed shock over the incident. He instructed officials concerned to initiate stern action against those responsible for the mishap and extended condolences to the bereaved family members.

More In: Hyderabad