The fire is believed to have broken out to due to a short-circuit
Toys and articles worth lakhs of rupees went up in flames at a China Bazar general store at Tarnaka in the early hours of Wednesday after a fire broke out inside the shop.
There were no persons inside the shop which was locked the previous night.
The top floor of the shop building housed Narayana School.
“It looks like an electric short-circuit could have ignited flames at around 5 a.m. Within a few minutes the blaze spread to the entire shop,” Osmania University Police Inspector P. Ashok said.
As three shutters of the shop were locked, police had to break them open to douse the flames. It took more than an hour for the firemen, who brought in two fire-tenders, to control the flames. Almost all articles in the shop were reduced to ashes.
The shop was owned by Jameel Ahmed, who hails from Itarsi in Madhya Pradesh. He was running the shop in the present rented building for the last four years.