Telangana political Joint Action Committee (JAC) on Monday decided to go ahead with the ‘million march to Hyderabad’ on March 10, despite appeals from parents, students and others to postpone the protest.
The ‘million march’ would be held as scheduled with changes in timing and form in view of year-end exams of intermediate and CBSE, JAC Convener M. Kodandaram told reporters here.
The JAC had earlier planned to organise the ‘march’ with a million people to demand introduction of a bill in the Parliament for formation of a separate Telangana.
But some parents’ associations and teachers have appealed to the JAC to postpone the protest as the gathering of a “million” people might cause inconvenience to the students appearing for the ongoing Class X, XII and CBSE exams.
TRS President K. Chandrasekhar Rao had indicated in Delhi on Sunday that the ‘march’ is likely to be postponed as parents’ associations and teachers sought its deferment.
Mr. Kodandaram, however, said the JAC decided to go ahead with the plan after speaking to various Telangana groups.
The programme would start at 1 p.m. and end at 4 p.m. in view of the examinations, he said.
As per the plan, rallies would start at about three points and culminate at Tank Bund at the Hussain Sagar lake. There may not be any speeches by leaders but cultural troupes would perform highlighting the Telangana cause, he said.
A media point will be arranged and whoever wants to express their views can speak to the media there, the JAC Convener said.
Asked about earlier plans of some Telangana groups of “laying siege” to Hyderabad, he said that the JAC would conduct the protest in a peaceful manner and the event has also been scaled down in view of the exams.
Replying to a query, he also said, all groups and parties, including ruling Congress and main Opposition TDP, are welcome to participate in the ‘million march’
The JAC comprises TRS, BJP, the State government employees in Telangana and several other people’s organisations.