Six students were on Monday injured when a fire broke out in an MCD school in south-west Delhi, an incident which brought to the fore the need to improve safety measures in government and civic-body run educational institutions.

The blaze was reported from the MCD primary school in Bapraula village in Najafgarh at around 11:15 am, fire brigade officials said.

The fire broke out in an electric meter due to a suspected short circuit and six students standing near the meter suffered “minor” injuries, the officials said.

The injured students were rushed to a nearby hospital where they were administered first-aid and later sent back home, they said.

Two fire tenders were rushed to the spot.

The accident comes close on the heels of a stampede in a government school in north-east Delhi which claimed the lives of five girl students.

More In: Delhi