Officials at Sewa Kutir, the observation home in Mukherjee Nagar, which was damaged by a group of angry juveniles on Sunday, continued to take stock of the incident on Monday.
Eighteen of the 33 minors who fled following the rampage remained absconding. The authorities asserted that some of the loss was irreparable, like the records kept in the superintendent’s room, which was completely gutted after being set ablaze by the juveniles. They said there was an uneasy calm at the home, and did not rule out more violence if concrete action was not taken soon. “We are assessing the extent of the loss and preparing a list of articles destroyed. Following this, we will draft a complaint and submit it to the police,” said an official.
An official from the Delhi High Court and the Principal Magistrates of the two Juvenile Justice Boards also visited the observation home during the day to assess the situation. Earlier on Sunday, a team from the National Commission for the Protection of Child Rights paid a visit to the home and spoke to the children.
Another official said more power would be given to the staff members as well as the policemen guarding the premises. He added that there should be unity of command as they have to approach different superior authorities for any decision at present.
“The policy-makers should come while these juveniles are creating a ruckus rather than coming afterwards so they can see the challenges we have to deal with regularly and the risky environment we work in. If the situation continues to be volatile, the juveniles might also kill someone some day,” cautioned an official.