The Delhi Government will pay compensation to 10 more workers who were injured in the foot over-bridge collapse near Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium and were since reported missing.

The bridge had collapsed last month in which 27 workers were injured.

Counsel for the Government on Wednesday informed the Court about the Government’s readiness to pay compensation to all those injured workers who were reported missing when the union representing these labourers said that 10 of them had since returned.

A Division Bench of the Court comprising Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Manmohan was hearing the matter suo motu.

The Government had initially announced a compensation of Rs. 1 lakh each for the critically injured and Rs.50,000 each for those who had sustained minor injuries. However, the compensation amounts were later raised to Rs.3 lakh for the former and Rs.1 lakh for the latter on a direction by the Court.

On the 27 labourers injured in the incident, eight were declared critically injured. The Government had already compensated nine of these labourers.

The Court had also asked the Deputy Commissioner of Police of the Crime Branch to conduct a probe into the incident.

In another matter related to the Games, the Court asked the Regional Labour Commissioner of the Delhi Government, who was present in the Court, to gather details of all the workers who were engaged in the construction work connected with the Games.

The Bench issued the direction when Counsel for the Government in reply to a query informed the Court that the Labour Department had registered the contractors who had brought these labourers to work without inquiring about the whereabouts or the numbers of the workers each contractor had hired.

He said that about 17,000 workers were hired for the purpose.

The Bench also directed the Labour Commissioner to prosecute contractors who failed to provide details of the labourers they had engaged for work.

More In: Delhi