A team despatched to Rajasthan to question her

The Delhi Police is learnt to have traced the woman suspected to be the mother of the two-year-old baby girl, who is battling for life at the All-India Institute of Medical Sciences' Trauma Centre here for the past 18 days. A team has been despatched to Rajasthan to question her.

The woman named Munni has apparently been traced to Behror. “We have zeroed in on a woman following a tip-off that she could be the mother of the child. However, it is yet to be established and the entire sequence of events has to be reconstructed before reaching a conclusion in this regard. The woman might herself turn out to be a victim,” said a police officer, refusing to divulge details of the findings.

While reports suggested that the woman in question was a victim of human trafficking, the police have not yet confirmed it.

The police had earlier identified three persons through whom the baby girl had reached Dilshad alias Rajkumar, who is now on the run. Investigations revealed that the baby was first handed over by one Munni to Lakshmi, a resident of Mohan Garden. After Munni vanished from the scene, Lakshmi passed on the baby to Dilshad through his friend Manoj.

“Enquiries have revealed that Dilshad wanted to adopt and raise the baby,” said the officer.

Dilshad is wanted for allegedly sexually abusing the 14-year-old girl who had purportedly beaten up and bitten the baby. According to the girl, he was also part of the gang that pushed her into prostitution.

The police have so far arrested Pooja, her husband Sandeep Pandey and accomplice Arti. The teenager's father has also been arrested for alleged cruelty on her.

PTI adds:

Munni will undergo a DNA test to ascertain whether or not she is the biological mother of the child.

A senior police official said they traced her on Sunday night and that she was being brought to Delhi.

Munni allegedly left the child with one Laxmi in September last year.

More In: Delhi | News | National | States