Two reports of the high-evel Shunglu Committee on alleged irregularities in Commonwealth Games projects and conduct of the mega sporting event are being examined by the Prime Minister’s Office for appropriate follow up action.
Officials said that the two reports received by the PMO on March 28 and 29 respectively are “under examination”.
So far, the Shunglu Committee has submitted six reports on CWG to the Government.
The 361-age report on Games venues has found a loss of over Rs 1,600 crore in construction and renovation of venues for the Games by different government agencies.
It has blamed senior officials of civic and construction government agencies like Central Public Works Department (CPWD), Delhi Development Authority (DDA), Public Works Department (PWD), New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) and RITES among others for inordinate delays, inflated prices and rigged tender process.
The Committee found Rs 800 crore as cost of delay in completing construction of all the games and training venues across the national capital and said that financial oversight by different agencies resulted in undue gain of over Rs 250 crore to contractors.
It said that there was an estimated Rs 574 crore of “wasteful expenditure” on certain types of assets. “It appears as if to economise was criminal and to splurge was civil,” the Committee had said in its report.
In its 103 pages sixth report on “organisation and conduct of CWG 2010”, the Committee found managerial lapses and blamed sacked Chairman of Organising Committee Suresh Kalmadi, lodged in Tihar jail in connection with alleged CWG graft, for setting up a “sham” committee with much lesser accountability and transparency.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had on October 25 last year appointed the high level committee under the chairmanship of former Comptroller and Auditor General V K Shunglu to investigate and report all irregularities in executing various projects by several government agencies during the Games held here between October 3—14 last year.
The Committee has submitted a total of six reports to the PMO. The first findings on Host Broadcasting was given to the PMO on January 29, second on Commonwealth Games Village (March 7), third on city infrastructure was submitted on March 18 and fifth on Organising Committee was given on March 28, pointing out alleged wrong doings.