Today's Paper Archive Classifieds Subscriptions RSS Feeds Site Map ePaper Mobile Apps Social
SEARCH

Cities » Delhi

Updated: December 3, 2013 13:51 IST

Paraplegic beauty queen feels cheated by organisers

Rana Siddiqui Zaman
Share  ·   Comment (2)   ·   print   ·  
Miss India Wheelchair first runner-up Deevya Aroraa.
Special Arrangement Miss India Wheelchair first runner-up Deevya Aroraa.

Deevya Aroraa, in her mid-thirties, won the title after making it to a shortlist of nine contestants, narrowed down from 250 candidates from across India.

A Delhi-based differently-abled woman, Deevya Aroraa, was on top of the world when she was crowned the first runner-up of the Miss India Wheelchair pageant in Mumbai on November 24.

But on the eve of International Day for People with Disabilities on Tuesday, Ms. Aroraa feels cheated by the organisers of the pageant.

She alleged that she was not given the cash prize of Rs.25,000 and a gift voucher that the organisers had advertised on their website. Ms. Aroraa, in her mid-thirties, won the title after making it to a shortlist of nine contestants, narrowed down from 250 candidates from across India.

“It was not an easy contest. It had four rounds which tested our abilities to think fast, answer quickly and look glamorous and beautiful,” she said.

She added: “The winner was given a power wheelchair, but I did not get anything except a sash and crown. The website claimed that the organisers will give Rs.25,000 and a gift voucher, but they didn’t mention it during and after the event. There has been no effort to reach out to me. I feel disheartened.”

The founder and owner of the contest, Sounak Bannerjee, conceded that the website had advertised cash prizes, vouchers, wheelchairs and holiday packages for the winner and runner-up.

“At the eleventh hour, on November 22, the sponsors back-tracked, saying they had already spent a lot on the lights, stage and venue. I couldn’t do anything about it,” Mr. Bannerjee said.

He admitted that going ahead with the contest after the sponsors had withdrawn was a mistake. “This was the first time I had organised the contest. The sponsors got their limelight before and during the event, then they backed out.”

Mr. Bannerjee said he is trying to resolve the matter with the sponsors, but has been unsuccessful so far. According to him, there was no resentment among the contestants over the sponsors’ withdrawal.

For Ms. Aroraa, the experience has left her disillusioned. “It takes money, time and energy to prepare for such an event. We should not have been kept in the dark,” she said.

More In: Delhi

Dear Hindu, you should have tried to appreciate what Mr. Sounak
Banerjee, a 36 year old man suffering from Muscular Dystrophy, has done
single-handedly. It was clearly mentioned in the website from Day One
that the Prizes are sponsor dependent. So if at the last moment
something went wrong, is it his mistake???? The above report says there
were 250 participants, but actually there were only 39. Divya Arora is
Mumbai based and not New Delhi.

from:  S Kumar
Posted on: Dec 4, 2013 at 12:52 IST

Mr. Bannerjee a promise is a promise. You should deliver the money as promised even if the sponsors backed out. That is your duty. Kids in College organise events worth crores. Please go and learn from them. You are bringing shame to yourself and other people.

from:  Naresh Kumar
Posted on: Dec 4, 2013 at 08:47 IST
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Delhi Connect Newsfeed



O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in Delhi

AAP slams Congress, BJP for justifying imposition of President’s Rule

The Aam Aadmi Party on Wednesday slammed both the Congress and the BJP for “justifying” the imposition of President’s Rule in Delhi in th... »