Today's Paper Archive Classifieds Subscriptions RSS Feeds Site Map ePaper Mobile Apps Social
SEARCH

Cities » Delhi

Updated: October 12, 2009 20:57 IST

Pak High Commission diplomat electrocuted

Staff Reporter
Share  ·   print   ·  
Pakistan High Commission in New Delhi on Wednesday. Photo:R.V. Moorthy.
The Hindu Pakistan High Commission in New Delhi on Wednesday. Photo:R.V. Moorthy.

A political counsellor with the Pakistan High Commission was electrocuted at his official residence in Vasant Vihar here on Sunday night.

M. K. Afridi, a senior diplomat with the Pakistan High Commission, was using a hairdryer in the bathroom after taking a bath around 9-30 p.m. when he was electrocuted. He reportedly sustained burns on the hand and was rushed to Fortis Hospital where he was declared dead on arrival.

As Mr. Afridi enjoyed diplomatic immunity and the usual procedure of post-mortem followed in such cases was waived off by the Indian authorities. His body was sent to Pakistan in the early hours of Monday through the Wagha border. His wife and two school-going children along with some Pakistan High Commission officials accompanied the body.

“The incident took place at the office residence of the diplomat which is considered to be an extension of the High Commission and hence comes under its jurisdiction. The official enjoyed diplomatic immunity and that was way no post-mortem was conducted,” said a police officer.

More In: Delhi | National | News

Delhi Connect Newsfeed



O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in Delhi

Saudi Arabia-based
Sheikh Assiri Maghran
Mohammed.

He did not give up the will to lead a better life

The 70-year-old Sheikh suffers from various diseases »