Cell phone users in Delhi may soon face some call trouble as the MCD plans to seal illegal mobile phone towers from Wednesday after the deadline for operators to apply for regularisation expired last week.
At a meeting of the concerned officials of the civic body on Monday, it was decided that at least 60 towers will be targeted this week, five each in all the city's 12 municipal zones.
A final decision on the issue will be taken after another meeting today (Tuesday), officials said. MCD officials earlier said out of 5,364 towers in the city, only 2,412 have requisite permission and the remaining 2,952 are illegal.
The civic body has already sealed 300 illegal towers and given several deadlines to tower operators to apply for regularisation in keeping with new guidelines unveiled by it.
The final deadline had expired on Friday.
The MCD had on February 9 brought in a new policy on mobile towers.
According to the revised guidelines for cell towers, the amount payable by the service providers to MCD for installing a tower has been increased from the present Rs one lakh to Rs.5 lakh.
Officials said a number of operators are unwilling to pay the hiked installation charge.
Keywords: Cell phone towers