Cities » Delhi

Updated: September 28, 2011 12:16 IST

Govt. doctor arrested for murder of wife

Staff Reporter
print   ·   T  T  
The Hindu

After strangling her, he drove down to Allahabad to dispose of the body

A 31-year-old surgeon posted at a government hospital in West Delhi has been arrested for allegedly murdering his wife, an engineer, and driving down all the way to Allahabad to disposing of her body. The two got married in November last.

Chandra Vibhash, a surgeon at Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Hospital, allegedly strangled 27-year-old Supriya on September 23 evening at their Hari Nagar house, stuffed her body into a bag and drove down to Allahabad in U.P. to dispose it of. He then threw down the bag from a flyover in Handia and returned to Delhi.

Supriya had called up her parents a few hours before the murder on September 23 saying that Vibhash was fuming with anger and that she feared for her life. Sensing that something was amiss, the family called up Vibhash enquiring about Supriya. But the surgeon falsely claimed that he was in Mathura and that he had no knowledge about her whereabouts.

Not satisfied with the reply, Supriya's parents along with a couple of their close relatives reached Delhi on September 25 by air, but found the rented accommodation of the couple locked. When Vibhash returned home a day later, the girl's family confronted him. He eventually broke down and purportedly confessed to having strangled Supriya with her “chunni” and disposed of the body in U.P.

The matter was reported to the police and Vibhash was arrested. The body was recovered by the Handia Police on September 25 morning in the middle of the road. “She had been brutally murdered with the eyes bulging out and injury marks on her face,” said a police officer of the Handia Police Station.

A Delhi Police team has been despatched to bring the body back.

Vibhash, who has been sent to five-days police custody, purportedly told the police that the two were mentally and physically incompatible and were not of the same wavelength.

Vibhash had allegedly started torturing Supriya, also a post-graduate in business administration, just two months after the marriage. The two families tried to sort out the matter amicably, but the man continued to ill-treat her and she was forced to return to her parents in Jharkhand in July. Supriya returned to Delhi on July 10 following intervention by the two families.

But Vibhash continued to beat and torture her and her parents came to Delhi on July 20 to sort out the matter, the police said.

Delhi Connect Newsfeed



Recent Article in Delhi

Bomb threat to Gurgaon’s Arcadia Complex

A day after a hoax call on bombs planted at HUDA City Centre and Vyapar Kendra in the Millennium City kept the police on its toes, the G... »