Soon, giant screens at select Metro stations in the capital will beam short films to create greater awareness among commuters on security issues, civic sense and other do’s and dont’s on the Delhi Metro.

The 46’ LCD screens, which have already been installed at five stations on the Jehangirpuri-HUDA City Centre (Gurgaon) corridor, will also beam advertisements in the next 15 days as part of an agreement signed between Delhi Metro and a private firm.

Delhi Metro will make use of the 50 giant screens to spread awareness among lakhs of its commuters on issues like men getting into coaches reserved for women, use of the emergency alarm buttons and what one should do when they notice a suspicious item on the train.

“We entered into an agreement on 75:25 ratio with a private firm. The firm will use 75 per cent of the space for advertisements and the remaining 25 per cent will be for us to air our videos,” a DMRC spokesman said.

As part of its plan, Delhi Metro has finalised scripts for seven -10 awareness movies to be flashed on the screens on various topics.

“The scripts are being worked out. Since people will not be able hear sound due to noise, the emphasis will be given to graphics and text,” the spokesman said.

He said the movies will be made in such a way that they capture the attention of the passengers instantly.

As per the initial plan, the cycle will be for eight minutes and every six minutes commuters will be able to view video clips with 3D graphic images on several safety and other issues related to the new age transport system.

The screens are installed at Chandni Chowk, Chawri Bazar, New Delhi, Patel Chowk and Central Secretariat stations on the Gurgaon Line, which sees a footfall of over 7 lakh a day.

Delhi Metro has selected issues like men getting into womens’ coaches, smart card, spitting on tracks, use of emergency alarm buttons, suspicious articles and helpline numbers to create awareness among the commuters.

“Men getting into womens’ coach is a problem. So that has been included as one of the topic on films. The film will communicate effectively why men should not enter into the coaches reserved for women,” the spokesman said.

Other issues would also be explained in the same manner, he said.

Delhi Metro currently has a ridership of over 20 lakh a day and it is expected to reach 40 lakh by 2016 when its Phase-III project connecting another 103 km of the national capital becomes operational.

More In: Delhi