A day after telling the Municipal Corporation of Delhi not to carry out “indiscriminate” sealing and demolition in different parts of the Capital city, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit reserved her response on the building collapse in the Chandni Mahal area of the Walled City. Though she discussed the issue with several senior officials and Ministers, the Government spokesperson said a formal response would only be issued on Wednesday.

The building collapse has exposed the doublespeak of the Congress Government in Delhi on the issue of sealing and demolition of unauthorised and illegal constructions – including those coming up on government land. Of late, attempts have also been made to scuttle the sealing and demolition drive being carried out by the Special Task Force under the supervision of the Lieutenant-Governor.

So following the building collapse in Chandni Mahal, the Government was very guarded in its response.

Delhi Minister and MLA from nearby Ballimaran, Haroon Yusuf, blamed the MCD for the collapse. He said the BJP-led Corporation did not take action against the illegal constructions. “This tragedy was waiting to happen. The MCD has been lacking in its response as it has not been ensuring that the buildings were structurally safe. All that the Corporation knows is how to make money,” he said.

Sources said the Delhi Health and Revenue Minister A.K. Walia has been directed to ensure proper treatment to the victims in the hospitals. Dr. Walia is also supervising the rescue and relief operations.

Incidentally, last week Dr. Walia had conducted a review meeting of the disaster management preparedness in Delhi and satisfaction was expressed with the preparedness in several departments.