After battling for life for close to two days in the Intensive Care Unit, Delhi Police constable Subhash Chand Tomar succumbed to his injuries at Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital here in the early hours of Tuesday.

Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar broke the news a couple of hours later with a tweet: “With deep regret we have to inform you Ct. Subhash Chand Tomar succumbed to his injuries at 6.40 a.m. today.”

Forty-seven-year-old Tomar, posted at the Karwal Nagar police station, was found lying injured on Tilak Marg on Sunday where he was deployed on security duty in view of the protests against the gang rape of a 23-year-old girl on December 16. Though how he got injured is not yet clear, it is alleged he was injured in a clash with some protesters.

While the post-mortem will ascertain the exact cause of death, the police said Tomar had internal injuries in the neck, chest and stomach. They evaded questions on whether the constable had any history of heart ailment. Also, the First Information Report registered at the Tilak Marg police station in connection with the alleged assault on Tomar does not clearly mention details on where exactly and at what time he was found in an injured state. It simply mentions about reports of him having sustained serious injuries and being taken to RML in an unconscious state.

“The probe is at its initial stage and all facts are being determined,” said a police officer.

Later in the day, the constable’s body was cremated with police honours at Nigambodh Ghat, where Union Ministers R. P. N. Singh and Ajit Singh, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, Home Secretary R.K. Singh and a large number of policemen were present.

Tomar is survived by his wife Amresh Devi and daughter Jyoti and sons Deepak and Sonu. The body was taken in a truck at the crematorium around 2.30 p.m. and was carried by policemen to the pyre.

Subhash’s sons lit the pyre around 3.50 p.m. as his former colleagues reversed their guns and fired. Teary family members and shocked relatives, some of whom had come from Meerut, mourned the loss. Speaking to a news channel, his son blamed the mob for the death and said his father paid with his life for performing his duty, leaving the family to suffer.

Rakesh Sharma, Tomar’s neighbour who described him as a punctual, disciplined and dedicated policeman, said he could not believe the news when he first saw it on the television.

The funeral saw some protests too as a few persons barged inside the crematorium demanding Capital punishment for those responsible for Tomar’s death and shouting slogans against Aam Aadmi Party convenor Arvind Kejriwal.

At a press conference in the evening, the Police Commissioner announced said a job will be provided on compassionate grounds to one member of the bereaved family chosen by the constable’s wife. He added that an ex-gratia payment of Rs.10 lakh, the insurance amount of Rs.5 lakh and Rs.3 lakh from Delhi Police Welfare Fund will be given to the family, besides a liberated pension granted to Amresh Devi. All the serving personnel of Delhi Police will donate one day’s wages to Tomar’s family, the police said, adding that members of the Delhi Police retired Gazetted Officer’s Association had also decided to contribute one day’s pension.

Saying that members of the public have also offered to help the family, Mr. Kumar said: “Anyone who wants to help the family may send crossed cheque in the name of Amresh Devi, to the Additional Commissioner of Police (Headquarters) Delhi Police MSO Building PHQ, New Delhi 110002 or directly deposit in the name of Amresh Devi in account number 392700-0100161800 Punjab National Bank, Branch Dilshad Garden, Delhi.”

More In: Delhi | News | National