Fire that broke out on Thursday afternoon at a warehouse near Hope College bus stop gutted the goods stored there.

The building was also damaged. None was injured.

According to Station Fire Officer, Peelamedu, Dhowlath Mohammed, his office received a call stating that there was a fire accident in Sri Nagar, behind the Hope College bus stand. This was around 3.20 p.m.

Within minutes, two tenders from the Station and also a water tanker from the Coimbatore South Station rushed to the spot to douse the flames.

The entire operation lasted for about 45 minutes, though the fire itself was put down within 15 minutes.

Mr. Mohammed said that electric short circuit could have triggered the fire accident.

Spark from an electric point there quickly spread to the goods – artificial plants, ornamental plants made of plastics and other combustible materials and other decorative items.

The warehouse belonged to a Nandakumar, who also managed a shop on the Avinashi Road in the area.

The shop employees had noticed the fire only after the glass in the shop shattered, he said.

While the fire fighters were battling the flames, a portion of the structure also came down. Soon thereafter the entire structure came down. None of the fire fighters were injured, he added.

More In: Coimbatore