More than 20 students staying at the Government Adi-dravidar hostel on Kottur road in Pollachi fell sick after consuming food at the hostel on Tuesday morning.

Sixty-one students hailing from Valparia, Munnar, Marayur, Sheikelmudi, and Attakatti are residing in the hostel. It is learnt that the students had their break fast at 8.30am and reached schools around 9am. By 10am, 16 of them complained of stomach ache, nausea, vomiting, and dysentery.

The students were taken to the Pollachi Government Hostel where they were administered first aid. Food samples have been taken for examination to ascertain whether the illness was caused by food poisoning. It is learnt that the students complained of foul smell in the food served in the morning. Later, three more students were taken to the hospital and seven staying in the hostel too were given first aid.

More In: Coimbatore