The Department of School Education has identified dilapidated buildings in 13 government schools in Coimbatore district for demolition. The process, which began in 2008, was completed recently and the district administration has accorded permission for tearing down the buildings.

Chief Educational Officer A. Gnanagowri told The Hindu here on Friday that the buildings were constructed more than three decades ago and had been declared as unfit for use after an assessment by the School Education, Public Works and Revenue department officials.

A majority of these buildings had been categorised as excess and were lying in disuse.

As such, demolishing them would not reduce the capacity of the schools. Further, they were also posing a threat to students’ safety since they were in a precarious condition.

The list was compiled by both the department of school education and the Directorate of Elementary Education after consulting the Block Development Officers and school officials.

Practical exams

The Chief Educational Officer said that the timetable for the Plus Two practical tests had been finalised and intimated to the private schools on Friday.

The schools have been divided into two batches. The invigilators would be changed between the two batches half way through the tests. A meeting of the department officials and private schools was held on Thursday to discuss the examinations.

Mr. Gnanagowri said that the hall tickets would be available online soon and could be downloaded. They would be required only for theory examinations.

More In: Coimbatore