There can be no better occasion to remember the doctor on whose name stands an important locality in the city: T.V. Sivanandam. Sivananda Colony is named after him. And this is his centenary year.
Born in Tirupur on June 19, 1911, he graduated from the Madras Medical College in 1937. He started his private practice a year later in Coimbatore. The same year he joined as a surgeon in honorary capacity at the Coimbatore District Headquarters Hospital. He continued his service there till 1964. His dedication to the profession, hard work and commitment to the poor and downtrodden earned him a good name among the public, so much so that people from Kerala also visited the city to have his treatment, say family sources.
Dr. Sivanandam was instrumental in placing the district hospital on the surgical map of the then Madras Presidency. He had trained over 60 doctors, was a member of the Association of Surgeons of India, Radiological Association, Paediatric Association of India and president of the Coimbatore District Medical Association for three terms.
In 1959 he was elected member of the Medical Council of India.
He was also actively involved in cooperative movement and served as a director, vice president and member of the executive committee of the Coimbatore District Co-operative Central Bank. He was the founder-president of the ‘Dr. T.V. Sivananda Nagar’ Co-operative House Building Society, which had led to the growth of a modern locality, Sivananda Colony.
He served on the Madras University Board for 15 years, was elected to the Coimbatore Municipal Corporation and also to the Legislative Council from the Graduates’ Constituency. The sources say that he was also actively involved in social service and religious activities in the city.