Four members of a family were electrocuted near Thally in Krishnagiri district on Saturday afternoon.
Police sources said that the incident took place near Devaganapalli village when N. Chenna Veera Reddy (35) of Beemachandram village was retuning home on a bike after having darshan at the Laxmi Narasimha Swamy temple in R. Agraharam village along with his wife C. Aruna (25), C. Dhanush (3) and one-and-a-half-year-old C. Divya on a bike. All four died on the spot.
Eye witness told The Hindu that the live HT line snapped due to heavy wind in the afternoon.
A. Ramachandran, Divisional Engineer, Tangedco, Hosur told The Hindu that the snapped wire was 11 KV HT power line. If the over head power line snapped and fell on the ground, the power line would trip automatically, but in this case, the power was not tripped as the wire snapped due to heavy wind and fell on the bike of the family. Power lines hanging low in many places in residential and forest areas is a cause for concern, say social activists.
Tangedco should come out with latest technology to save human and wild life species in the district, they urged.