The CBI on Friday searched offices of the Telecom Ministry for the second day and also visited a number of private operators in connection with alleged irregularities in the allocation of spectrum to new operators.

According to sources in the CBI, the agency searched a total of 19 premises, including offices of 10 telecom companies and some of the offices of the DoT.

They, however, declined to name the telecom firms.

Reacting to the CBI action, Telecom Minister A. Raja had said on Thursday that he had followed all the procedures laid down by the telecom regulator and all decisions were taken after consultation with the Prime Minister.

He had also ruled out stepping down from the Union Cabinet, saying nowhere the CBI has pointed to the minister’s involvement.

“All decisions on spectrum licensing have been taken in accordance with procedures laid down by Trai and in consultation with the Prime Minister,” he had said.

CBI has registered a case against unknown officials of Department of Telecom and unknown private persons and companies under the charge of criminal conspiracy and corruption under the Prevention of Corruption Act.

Ever since the licences were issued last year, there has been widespread criticism that there could have been loss of thousands of crores to the exchequer on account of irregularities.

More In: News | National