Action will be taken against Hasan Gafoor - the Mumbai Police Commissioner during the 26/11 terror attack - for his outbursts accusing four senior police officers of dereliction of duty during the carnage, Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil said today.
Mr. Patil also said that the 10 persons who were handling the file relating to procurement of bullet proof jackets for Mumbai police will be placed under suspension after questions were raised about its efficacy.
On the missing bullet proof jacket of ATS chief Hemant Karkare who was gunned down by terrorists, Patil said action will be taken against persons responsible for recovering the jacket from his body. Karkare’s wife Kavita had earlier raised questions about the missing bullet proof jacket her husband had been wearing when he geared up to take on the terrorists.
The Home Minister’s remarks were a response to a discussion on the Opposition resolution on what they called deteriorating law and order situation in the state.
Levelling allegations against senior colleagues and talking to the media was a clear breach of discipline, Mr. Patil said. Gafoor is currently DGP, Housing. Gafoor could have offered the same comments before the Ram Pradhan panel which probed the response of the Mumbai police during the attack, he said. The panel report will be tabled on the floor of the Assembly on December 21, he added.
Gafoor had courted controversy when he was quoted by a news magazine as saying that four officers - K. L. Prasad, Deven Bharti, Parambir Singh and K Venkatesham - had failed in due discharge of their duty during the terror strike.
The ex-police commissioner has since said the statements attributed to him were false.