Today's Paper Archive Classifieds Subscriptions RSS Feeds Site Map ePaper Mobile Apps Social
SEARCH

News

Updated: August 7, 2010 12:36 IST

16 dead, seven trapped in China gold mine fire

AP
Share  ·   print   ·  
In this photo released by China's Xinhua News Agency, rescuers escort rescued a miner out at the site of fire at Luoshan Gold Mine in Zhaoyuan, Yantai City, east China's Shandong Province on Saturday. Photo: AP.
In this photo released by China's Xinhua News Agency, rescuers escort rescued a miner out at the site of fire at Luoshan Gold Mine in Zhaoyuan, Yantai City, east China's Shandong Province on Saturday. Photo: AP.

Rescue workers were rushing to free seven workers trapped in a gold mine in eastern China on Saturday after an underground fire killed at least 16.

The fire that broke out Friday afternoon at the Lingnan Gold Mine in Zhaoyuan city in eastern Shandong province had been put out and rescuers were now focused on freeing those trapped, according to the chief of the state work safety administration?s policy law and regulation department. He identified himself by his surname as Li.

The fire initially trapped 50 workers, but all but seven had been pulled out as of 11 a.m. Saturday, the state?run Xinhua News Agency said. The report said 329 people had been working in the mine.

Mr. Li said the fire was caused by an underground cable, and the owner of the mine was in police custody.

China Central Television footage on Saturday showed one rescued miner, shirtless, covering his eyes with a towel as he and others walked out of an elevator at the mine shaft entrance.

This week, 25 miners were killed in two separate accidents when lethal gas seeped into the mines where they were working. Nine workers were killed at a mine on Monday in central Henan province, while 16 workers died Tuesday at a mine in south-western Guizhou province.

The Chinese government has attempted to improve worker safety, but faced huge obstacles.

Mining deaths jumped again in the first half of this year. Coal mine deaths through June were 1,261, up from 1,175 in the same period last year.

Earlier this month, a spokesman for the work safety administration told the China Daily newspaper the jump was due in part to China?s recovery from the economic crisis.

Last month, Premier Wen Jiabao ordered mine managers and bosses to accompany workers down into mine shafts in a bid to improve safety.

However, the approach has failed to produce any impact. More than 100 miners have died in the past month; none of those killed were mine bosses or managers, a fact noted with unusual criticism by the typically docile state media.

{

More In: News | International

Social


Please remember to logout of facebook after you complete this session.

O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in News

SC allows Railways to complete tender process for catering contracts

With a view to improving the quality of food and service to passengers, the Supreme Court on Friday allowed the Railways to complete the... »