Your skin and nails will be in the spotlight. Yogita Abhishek Shah tells you how to take care of them…
Make a splash
While enjoying a swim, take care of your skin, hair and even nails. Yes, chlorine can make them dry and brittle. Apply petroleum jelly to your nails before entering the water. And after coming out of water, wash off chlorine as soon as you step out of water. Apply enough sunscreen to your skin before entering the pool.
With the summer here, sandals come out of the closet. Your feet and hands will get maximum attention. It is worth taking good care of hands, feet and nails.
Whether you are applying nail polish to your hands or toes, have the old nail polish removed. Buff your nails and file them well. Try some bright nail colours. Blue is the colour this season. You could try some tropical nail art to match your vacation mood.
Go for a gel-based polish that will keep the colour intact longer. Remember not to open bottles with your freshly painted nails. Use your nails as jewels and not as tools.
Special care for hands and feet is required in summer. Exfoliation is needed. A regular visit for manicure and pedicure will help. If you visit the beach, take a long walk on the beach barefoot when it is not hot. It is a good way to make your feet soft. Fish pedicure is another way to make your skin baby soft.
Summer means increased activity. We tend to perspire a lot. Make friends with water. Drink water at regular intervals. The difference will be visible. You will feel more energetic and it will show on your hair and skin.
* Repair and treat sun damage. One of the best ways to remove sun tan from hands is to prepare a paste of unboiled milk, turmeric and lemon juice. Apply this mixture on the skin. Let it dry. Wash off with cool water.
* Try a natural body scrub. For clean and glowing skin, use a scrub made of equal amounts of gram flour and honey once a week.
* To reduce tan, mix honey and lemon juice and apply to your face. Wash off after 15-20 minutes.
* Soak almonds overnight. In the morning grind to a fine paste. Mix in an equal quantity of milk cream and apply to your hands. This will keep your skin smooth and make it glow.
* Protect your lips with lip balm that provides good sun protection. Avoid having chapped lips.
* Apply and reapply sunscreen. It will help your skin from getting tanned, sun burnt and keep pigmentation at bay.
* People with oily skin tend to have blackheads, white heads and pimples. A good face wash and moisturizer will do the trick. Regular face cleanups also help.
* Sun rays are important for our skin. Vitamin D is one of the most important fat-soluble vitamins.
Yogita is the managing partner at Spa Senza.