Here is a recipe for hot cross buns
Refined flour: 500 gm
Milk: 125 ml
Yeast: 15 gm
Salt: half teaspoon
Castor / Icing Sugar: 75 gm
Raisins: 40 gm
Orange peel: 40 gm
Black currant: 25 gm
Cinnamon powder: half teaspoon
Nutmeg powder: a pinch
Butter: 50 gm
Eggs (for egg wash): two
A little extra icing sugar for icing
- Sieve and mix the flour with the cinnamon and nutmeg powder.
- Mix half cup of water, milk, yeast, salt, eggs, and sugar together.
- Add the flour mixture to the liquid mixture and knead into a nice smooth dough. Adjust water content as desired.
- Melt butter, bring it to room temperature and mix with the above dough. Add raisins, orange peel, black currants to the dough & mix well.
- Let the dough rest for 30 minutes and make round dough balls. Size can depend on individual need.
- Let the dough proof in a warm place for about 30 minutes (it should increase in volume).
- Cut a cross on the top and brush with egg wash (mixture of eggs and water)
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 90 degrees for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Let it cool for a bit
- For the icing, mix icing sugar and water together and pipe the icing on top of the bun above the cross mark, cool for a few minutes. (You can make 15-20 medium sized buns.)
- Serve fresh out of the oven
Swasti is chef at Foodhall