Here’s some trivia about Inkaar I have painstakingly culled that you did not need to know but will hopefully read anyway.
1. A word count of a different kind has come up with the interesting factoid that the word ‘sex’ occurs 262 times in Inkaar.
2. Many scenes in the film were shot in the Mumbai offices of two advertising agencies: Leo Burnett and Grey Worldwide. These agencies have apparently asked not to be mentioned in the film’s credit roll because they feel the advertising agency business does not come off too well in the movie.
3. A condom brand apparently offered the producers of the movie Rs 2 crore for a marketing tie-up.
4. Producers Viacom 18 say they have commissioned a nationwide survey to dig up some research on sexual behaviour in offices.
5. The first cut of the movie’s trailer was apparently so steamy that it had to be toned down (a tragic prospect for producers and marketers).
Given that most of this information has come from the makers of the film, it is fair to presume they are milking this storyline about sexual harassment in the workplace for all it’s worth.
If you’ve seen the trailer with its dialogue-baazi (‘There is a thin line between Right/Wrong; Ambition/Greed; Trust/Betrayal Truth/Lies’) you pretty much know what you’re going to get by way of storyline.
For the record, however, the film has Arjun Rampal playing the CEO of an ad agency and Chitrangada Singh a copywriter. The rest is easy enough to figure.
In normal circumstances, the prospect of the next Sudhir Mishra film would have been an exciting one. The exploration of an office affair gone wrong and the tightrope walk that the dynamics of such a relationship entails would have been a subject we would expect him to handle with equal amounts of skill, grace and classy sensuality.
The casting seems perfect for this story, with two of our sexiest stars in the lead roles. Arjun Rampal is in his element as the urban flirt and Chitrangada Singh looks combustible enough to set an office on fire.
However, Mishra’s last three films (Yeh Saali Zindagi, Tera Kya Hoga Johnny and Khoya Khoya Chand), have not done too well at the b-o.
That might explain much of Inkaar’s steam quotient and its rather blatant marketing. All of which does not necessarily mean that things could go sadly wrong.
So we will go into this movie with no prejudice but some trepidation.
We have already been warned by the trailer: ‘Lines will be crossed’. Question is: By whom?
Bottomline: The filmmakers are milking this storyline about sexual harassment in the workplace for all it’s worth.
Cast: Arjun Rampal, Chitrangada Singh, Deepti Naval
Director: Sudhir Mishra
Releases: January 18, 2013