Young World turns 20 this year. So come and be a part of the celebration. Here’s a quiz for you…the first five correct entries will win exciting prizes.Some posers to test how much one remembers of the news-making events in the two decades since Young World made its debut in 1990. Here goes….
1. India, which celebrated the Golden and Diamond Jubilee of its Independence in the last score years, has seen five Presidents in that period. Name them in order.
2. Can you name the scientist credited with inventing the World Wide Web, possibly the greatest technological innovation of the 1990s, and the place where it happened?
3. Apart from Abhinav Bindra (gold) and Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore (silver), name the other Indians to have won medals at the Summer Olympic Games.
4. To a cartographer's delight, many new nations came into being in the 1990s. From which former European nation did Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia and Slovenia come about?
5. A series of seven books released between June 30, 1997 and July 21, 2007, was (arguably) the biggest hit amongst the young and old alike in that period. Name the main protagonist of the books and the author.
6. Name the three women to have been given the Bharat Ratna, India's highest civilian honour, in the last 20 years.
7. In 1996, scientists ‘played God' to clone the first mammal which they named Dolly. What type of herbivore was Dolly?
8. One of nature's awesome spectacles wreaked havoc on December 26, 2004 leaving thousands dead in India, Sri Lanka and some other Asian countries. What happened?
9. Sachin Tendulkar has stridden the cricketing world like a colossus breaking all possible records. So, whose marks did he breach to become the most capped Test player, the one with most Test centuries and the one with most Test runs?
10. A.R. Rahman has been the face of Indian cinema music with his brilliant compositions. In which Mani Ratnam film did this prodigious composer make his debut way back in 1992?
11. What honour was bestowed on these fantastic places in the last 20 years: Humayun's Tomb, Bhimbetka Rock Shelters, Champaner-Pavagadh Archaeological Park, Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, Mahabodhi Temple complex in Gaya, Mountain Railways, Jantar Mantar, Red Fort and Great Living Chola Temples?
12. Which Asian building built in 2004 was supplanted by the Burj Khalifa as the world's tallest this year?
13. Which world leader who made news for most of the 1990s and early 2000s was executed on December 30, 2006?
14. Which much-loved company had its genesis in 1996 as a research project by two Ph.D. students Page and Brin at Stanford University?
15. In 1999, if Mahatma Gandhi finished joint-runner-up in Time Magazine's ‘Person of the Century' list, which genius was the winner?
Mail your answers to : The Hindu Young World, 859/860 Kasturi Buildings, Anna Salai, Chennai 600002 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The last date for all entries is Friday, September 24.
Keywords: Young World Quiz