1. Name one of the greatest cricketers, called “The Boy from Bowral”, who was born on this date in 1908.
2. Shree Ganeshan Chundan retained the crown in the 61st edition of which famous annual sporting event in Kerala?
3. Fifty years ago, on August 28, one of the greatest speeches of the 20th Century was delivered in Washington DC. Name the speech and the speaker.
4. Chisinau (historically known as Kishinev) is the capital of which landlocked republic that declared its independence from Russia on August 27, 1991?
5. How did a Kilo class diesel-electric submarine with Pennant No. 63 make news on August 14?
6. If it was Prakash Padukone in 1983, G. Jwala and Ashwini Ponnappa in 2011, then who was it in 2013?
7. Which great scientist was the Master of the Royal Mint for 28 years from 1699 onwards?
8. Recently, the CIA officially acknowledged the Groom Lake or Homey Airport in Nevada. What is its more popular name?
9. Which popular singer’s latest single “Applause” has attracted headlines for its quirkiness?
10. “Yes, I feel thankful that I am here to welcome you” is supposedly the response given to which famous greeting?
11. Which ancient historian wrote The Histories, a major source of information about the classical world?
12. Which famous Egyptian’s original name was “Living Image of Aten”?
13. What is Blue Carbon?
14. Which ruler was forced to abdicate because of the February Revolution of 1917?
15. Which US State’s capital is Tallahassee?
Answers: 1. Sir Donald Bradman; 2. The Nehru Trophy Boat Race in Alleppey; 3. ‘I Have a Dream’ speech by Martin Luther King, Jr.; 4. Moldova; 5. The INS Sindhurakshak sank in Mumbai after an explosion; 6. P.V. Sindhu. Winning a medal at the World Badminton Championships; 7. Sir Isaac Newton; 8. Area 51; 9. Lady Gaga; 10. “Doctor Livingstone, I presume?”; 11. Herodotus; 12. Tutankhamun (his original name was Tutankhaten); 13. The carbon captured by the world’s oceans and coastal ecosystems; 14. Tsar Nicholas II; 15. Florida.