Check out India’s glorious triumph in the 1983 Prudential World Cup
1. June 25 was already part of Indian cricket folklore much before Kapil Dev lifted the Prudential Cup at Lord’s in 1983. In what way is the date historic?
2. Who was Kapil Dev’s deputy for the 1983 Prudential World Cup?
3. Name the countries that India played against in the group stage before qualifying for the semi finals.
4. India opened its campaign by not only posing its second win but also inﬂicting upon its opponent its ﬁrst-ever defeat in the three editions of the competition. Name the opponent.
5. What is common to Yashpal Sharma, Madan Lal, Kapil Dev, Roger Binny and Mohinder Amarnath?
6. One member of the present ‘Team India’ was the captain of a side that India beat twice in the 1983 event. Who?
7. There was only one player in the victorious Indian squad who did not get to play even a single match in the tourney. Name this unlucky, yet champion member.
8. “I was in a trance-like state when I began my innings. It was, however, one of those days when nothing could go wrong. I do not believe I will see another day like that in my career,” wrote this player in his autobiography about his incredible match-winning knock that is not preserved on ﬁlm because of a ﬂash strike by BBC on that day. Name the all-time great.
9. Which member of the Indian team is now a Lok Sabha MP from Darbhanga in Bihar?
10. In a tournament where everything went right for the country, Indians set the records for the most number of catches and wickets. Name the individuals.
11. Which exuberant batsman from the 1983 campaign was the chairman of selectors who chose the triumphant 2011 squad led by M.S. Dhoni?
12. Two members of the winning-side became so popular that they starred in a Hindi film “Kabhi Ajnabi The” couple of years later. Name the two ‘actors.’
13. Which Bharat Ratna and a big cricket aficionado performed a single titled “Bharat Vishwa Vijeta” with the winning team and raised Rs. 20 lakh that was given to the players?
14. This legend, now a respected TV commentator, was rested for two matches and India lost them both prompting ‘experts’ then to say it was a jinxed decision. Name the great player.
15. A rich ending to the quiz. What was the prize money given to the winning team along with the trophy and individual medals?
Answers: 1. India made its Test debut against England on that same day and venue in 1932; 2. Mohinder Amarnath; 3. Australia, West Indies and Zimbabwe; 4. West Indies; 5. They were the Indians who won Man of the Match awards in the event, with Amarnath getting two (semiﬁnal and ﬁnal); 6. Duncan Fletcher. He skippered the Zimbabwe squad then; 7. Sunil Valson; 8. Kapil Dev (on his monumental 175 not out). 9. Kirti Azad; 10. Kapil Dev (7 catches) and Roger Binny (18 wickets); 11. Krishnamachari Srikkanth; 12. Sandeep Patil and Syed Kirmani; 13. Lata Mangeshkar; 14. Sunil Gavaskar; 15. 30,000 Pounds.