Some posers on travel and beaches…
1. Two of the greatest travellers in the world have been Marco Polo and Ibn Battuta. From which countries did they come?
2. Which Asian country’s national flag features a big religious structure which is also one of the most visited tourist spots in the world?
3. Name the visa that is valid for 26 European countries that have abolished passport and immigration controls at their common borders.
4. Which natural feature, popular among tourists, has parts like Swash Zone and Wrack Line?
5. In which currency would you buy a ticket to marvel at the Terracotta Army?
6. What is the Vredefort Dome, popular among tourists in South Africa?
7. Many a traveller experiences the unwanted Montezuma’s Revenge or the Cairo Two-Step. What are they euphemisms for?
8. In which U.S. State is the Mount Rushmore National Monument?
9. There are seven in the world. The first was in Billund (Denmark). There is just one in Asia — at Nusajaya, Johor (Malaysia). Name the popular attraction especially among kids.
10. The longest natural sand beach, more than 122 km long, is in Bangladesh. What is its name?
11. Travelling by train is fun in India. Between which two points does the Vivek Express, the train with longest route, ply?
12. Mosi-oa-Tunya is a spectacular tourist spot. What is its English name?
13. On which famous beach in India can one see statues of Avvaiyar, ‘Netaji’ Subhash Chandra Bose and Mahatma Gandhi among others?
14. Saqqara has the earliest large-scale cut stone construction of its kind. What type of architectural edifice do visitors go to see?
15. Iberia and Druk Air are the flag carriers or national airlines of which countries.
1. Italy and Morocco;
2. Cambodia (with Angkor Wat in the flag);
3. Schengen Visa;
5. Renminbi (currency of China);
6. It’s a volcanic crater, part of the largest known asteroid impact site on Earth;
7. Terrible stomach upset;
8. South Dakota;
10. Cox’s Bazar beach;
11. Dibrugarh Town and Kanyakumari;
12. Victoria Falls;
13. Marina Beach in Chennai;
14. Step Pyramid;
15. Spain and Bhutan.