A favourite tourist spot, Mukkombu continues to be a much visited place.
Mukkombu, near Tiruchi, is one of the important picnic spots, attracting a large number of tourists, particularly the youth, students and children. It is here that the Cauvery not only assumes its majestic form “Akanda Cauvery” but also branches off into Coleroon at the head of Srirangam.
Hence, during the monsoon and whenever the Cauvery is in spate, it is a sheet of water all around Mukkombu.
A sprawling area of amusement park, Mukkombu is also noted for its water-sports.
In the olden days, there was no water regulatory system such as anicut or dam at Mukkombu. Diversion of irrigational water from the river to the fields was done through mud “korambu” – a tough job.
In 1836, Major H.C. Cotton constructed an anicut at an estimate of Rs. two lakh, at Mukkombu, which has come to be known as Upper Anicut. The bridge and sluices were designed and built by Captain Edward Lawford in 1846. During 1973-74, a check dam was constructed at an outlay of Rs. 2.12 crore.
How to reach there: Mukkombu, about 18 km west of Tiruchi, is well-connected by road on the Tiruchi-Karur highway. A number of Town route buses are being operated from the Chathiram Bus Stand.
What to see: Amusement park, environment-friendly ecological scenery and water sports.