A three-day music festival billed as a celebration of creative freedom
The ARTery, a Chennai-based arts portal & culture magazine is hosting a four-day national festival of performing arts. Titled SVATANTRA as it falls during the week of Independence Day, the festival is billed as a celebration of creative freedom. The festival is being held at Kumararaja Muthiah Hall, Chettinad Vidyashram (R.A. Puram, Chennai) between August 13 and 16. “The uniqueness of this event is that it aims to bring together diverse Indian performing art forms such as classical music, jugalbandi, vernacular theatre and contemporary music,” says Ramanathan Iyer, promoter of The ARTery. The lineup features celebrated names such as senior violinist T. N. Krishnan and his sister N. Rajam, who will perform a Carnatic-Hindustani jugalbandi on the opening day. Popular comedian and screenplay writer 'Crazy' Mohan's troupe will present 'Meesai Aanalum Manaivi', a Tamil play laced with characteristic humour. Occupying pride of place on Independence Day evening is a first-of-its-kind collaboration between playback singer Karthik and violinist Viji Krishnan, who will lead 'Paaramparya', a presentation of contemporary music, taking inspiration from classical pieces as presented by the great masters of the past. Rounding off the festival on August 16 will be a Carnatic vocal performance by the legendary Nedunuri Krishnamurthy, one of the senior-most performers of today. Adding a dash of energy and colour to each day's programme, there will be mini concerts by some of the rising youngsters such as Bharat Sundar, Ramakrishnan Murthy, Sandeep Narayan and Sriranjani Santhanagopalan, embellished by the presence of senior accompanists.
Venue: Raja Muthiah Hall, Chettinad Vidyashram, RA Puram, Chennai 28
Tuesday, August 13, 2013
• 5.00 - 6.30 pm: Sandeep Narayan (Vocal), Delhi P. Sunderrajan (Violin), B. Ganapathyraman (Mridangam), S. Krishna (Ghatam)
• 7.00 - 9.00 pm: Jugalbandi by violinists T. N. Krishnan (Carnatic) & N. Rajam (Hindustani) with Guruvayur Dorai (Mridangam), Ajeet Pathak (Tabla)
Wednesday, August 14, 2013
• 5.00 - 6.30 pm: Ramakrishnan Murthy (Vocal), R. K. Shriramkumar (Violin), Anantha R. Krishnan (Mridangam), G. Chandrasekara Sarma (Ghatam)
• 7.00 - 9.00 pm: Tamil Play: 'Crazy' Mohan presents ‘Meesai Aanalum Manaivi’
Thursday, August 15, 2013
• 5.00 - 6.30 pm: Sriranjani Santhanagopalan (Vocal), Mysore V. Srikanth (Violin), Poongulam S. Subramanian (Mridangam), N. Guruprasad (Ghatam)
• 7.00 - 9.00 pm: Contemporary Music: ‘Paaramparya’, a contemporary adaptation of the masters, by Violinist Viji Krishnan & Playback singer Karthik. With Keith Peters (Bass Guitar), J. Vaidyanathan (Mridangam) & orchestra. Concept: Cinematographer Rajiv Menon
Friday, August 16, 2013
• 5.00 - 6.30 pm: Bharat Sundar (Vocal), Nagai R. Sriram (Violin), Neyveli R. Narayanan (Mridangam), V. Anirudh Athreya (Kanjira)
• 7.00 - 9.00 pm: ‘Maestro's Choice’ Nedanuri Krishnamurthy (Vocal), Malladi Ravikumar (Vocal Support), S. Varadarajan (Violin), Mannargudi A. Easwaran (Mridangam), K. V. Gopalakrishnan (Kanjira)
5.00 pm programmes are free
For 7.00 pm programmes:
Season Donor Passes: Rs. 3,000, Rs. 2,000
Daily Donor Passes: Rs. 1,000, Rs. 500, Rs. 100, Rs. 50
Balcony free, first come first served.
Issue of passes will commence from Tuesday, August 6th at shopping.theartery.in and at the office in Chennai
Webcast: There will be no live webcast. However, all donor patrons of The ARTery can enjoy an on-demand video streaming from August 20th onwards at http://www.theartery.in/. Patron donations are available for as low as $5 (Rs. 300) a month and enables access to archived content as well as monthly subscription to The ARTery magazine.
An event by Sensational Productions & Srishti's Carnatica.