Right in the heart of Rameswaram is Ekantharamaswamy temple, where, according to legend, Sri Rama stopped while he was searching for Sita. With him were Lakshmana, Anjaneya and the army of monkeys. The temple is within the jurisdiction of the Thankachi Matam panchayat. The deity has been eulogised by Tyagaraja in his composition, ‘Edri Prodhu Ekantha Ramaiah…’ Skanthasethu Mahatmiyam speaks of the glory of this deity. Sethupuranam refers to Amritavapi, the temple’s pushkarni, in which a sage cursed by Agasthya, took a dip to find relief.
Consecration has been scheduled on Sunday, May 16, 9-10 a.m. Samprokshanam will take place for the Rajagopuram and the vimana of Vinayaka, Tulsidas Lingam and Ilandai Kalidevi.
Ekantha Ramaswami temple is managed by Arya Maharashtra hereditary pujaris and run as private Trust. Sri Ramnath Pujari (71), a descendant, conducts the daily puja at the temple. His great-grand father Sri Sethu Bhattar performed consecration 150 years ago and renovated the temple.
In 1951, his grandfather organised samprokshanam with the help of Maharastra Brahmin Community. In 1963, a philanthropist from Calcutta, Koundhlala Bhangur, donated liberally for renovation. Consecration took place in 1967, thanks to the efforts of Neelakanta Pujari, father of Sri Ramnath Pujari.
The temple is in a dilapidated state with the compound wall and the shrines crumbling. Devotees who wish to contribute may send in the amounts as cheque or draft favouring Sri Ekantharamaswamy Temple, and addressed to Sri Ramnath Pujari,. Trustee, Sri Ekantha Ramawamy Temple, 79, Middle Street, Rameswaram. Phone: 09843272170.
Keywords: Ekantharamaswamy temple