They were found to have insufficient faculty strength
The sanctioned intake of three engineering colleges, which were found to have insufficient faculty strength to teach first-year students, has been reduced this year.
The Arulmigu Meenakshi Amman College of Engineering, Tiruvannamalai, will be allowed to admit only 30 students in civil engineering, computer science and other branches, and 60 students in electronics and communication engineering.
Oxford Engineering College will be allowed to admit only 30 in the four branches of study.
The J.A. Institute of Engineering and Technology, which was raided by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) last year, will not be allowed to admit students this year.
These changes will not affect students admitted in previous years.
P. Mannar Jawahar, Vice-Chancellor, Anna University – Chennai, said most of the colleges to which notices had been issued earlier had sent in compliance reports, which satisfied the committee's requirements. Only the three colleges had shown shortage of faculty, especially in humanities and science departments in the first year and hence had been asked to reduce their intake.
He said the other three colleges, which were raided by the CBI last year — V.K.K. Vijayan Engineering College, the Sun College of Engineering and Technology, and the P.M.R. Institute of Technology — had sent in satisfactory compliance reports but whether they would be allowed to admit students would be decided by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE).
Counselling for vocational candidates
Counselling for vocational candidates took place on Tuesday as scheduled even as the orders of the Madras High Court on a batch of writ petitions were awaited.
Higher Education Minister K. Ponmudy reiterated that the counselling process would continue as scheduled by the State government based on the previous year's data.